6. Purpose of Data Processing
The following generic statement will apply to the processing of personal data unless the data controller has published their own statement for you to display, in which case the data controller’s wording will take precedence.
Surveillance and security data may be used for the legitimate interest of:-
- maintaining the security of property and premises;
- preventing and investigating crime;
- monitoring staff when carrying out work duties;
- providing evidence of health & safety issues;
The information processed may include names, employment details, security clearance, vehicle registration numbers, images, sound recordings, records of personal appearance and behaviours. This information may concern staff and other workers present on the premises, customers and clients, offenders and suspected offenders, members of the public and those inside, entering or in the immediate vicinity of the area under surveillance. Subject to UK Data Protection Legislation, this information may be shared with the data subjects themselves, tenants and their agents, services providers, police forces and government security agencies and others who have entered into a Data Sharing Agreement with the data controller and where necessary to achieve the above purposes.
As you will have read in section 3, if you are processing special category and/or criminal offence personal data then you will also need a section explaining the purpose and lawful basis of those processing activities:
We may also process special category data about you, including [list of types of special category data] and criminal offence data, including [give details of criminal offence data]. We process this data for the legitimate interest of:-
- [list the legitimate interests pursued by processing these types of data. The legitimate interests may be the same or similar to those listed in the ‘Legitimate Interests’ section above for non-sensitive personal data].
The conditions we rely upon for processing this data are:
- for special categories of data – [list chosen condition(s) from Article 9]; and
- for criminal offence data – [list chosen condition(s) from Schedule 1 of the Data Protection Act 2018].